Data lakehouse supplier Dremio has announced new features for querying, performance, and compatibility enhancements that include:
- Iceberg table optimization with SQL commands such as OPTIMIZE, ROLLBACK and VACUUM to optimize performance and streamline data lake management.
- 40 percent better data compression with native Zstandard (zstd) compression.
- Tabular UDFs: Tabular User-Defined Functions enable users to extend the native capabilities of Dremio SQL and provide a layer of abstraction to simplify query construction.
- New mapping SQL functions: CARDINALITY returns the number of elements in a map or list and helps customers moving array workloads from Presto and Athena; ST_GEOHASH returns the corresponding geohash for the given latitude and longitude coordinates; FROM_GEOHASH returns the latitude and longitude coordinates of the center of the given geohash. Both geohash functions help customers move workloads from Snowflake, Amazon Redshift, Databricks, and Vertica. Geohashing guarantees that the longer a shared prefix between two geohashes is, the spatially closer they are together.
- Dremio now supports multiple Delta Lake catalogs including Hive Metastore and AWS Glue, providing a unified data lake experience across the organization.
Read the full story here.